You are in Spain and about to order breakfast. Suddenly, you realize you have no clue what Spaniards eat in the morning, nor how to order the coffe the way you like. I will give you all the details you need right now!!
Download MP3 (right-click and select "Save Link As...")
Spanish transcription and English translation
El precio normalmente es de 2,50 euros a 3 euros aproximadamente, pero puede ser 4 euros o 5 euros si la cafetería está en el centro de una ciudad muy turística.
The price is usually between 2,50 euros and 3 euros approximately. However, it can be up to four or five euros if the coffee shop is in the centre of a very touristic city.
Si sólo quieres café y nada de leche, tus opciones son:
If you only want coffee with no milk at all, your options are:
Café solo, que es un café expresso o café negro, sin leche. Es pequeño.
Cafe solo, which is an expresso coffee or black coffee, with no milk. It is a small one.
Café americano, que es un café largo con más café. Si quieres mucho café, y solo café, está es tu opción.
Café americano, which is a café largo with more coffee. If you want a lot of coffee, and only coffee, this is your option.
Si te gusta el café con leche, tus opciones son:
If you like coffee and milk, your options are:
Café cortado, que es un café con un poco de leche, muy poca leche.
Café cortado, which is coffee with a bit of milk, very little milk.
Leche manchada es un café donde tienes muy poco café y mucha leche. Es para personas que quieren más leche que café. Tiene varios nombres: leche manchada, café manchado o café con leche manchado.
Leche manchada is when you have very little coffee and a lot of milk. It is for people who want more milk than coffee. It has several names: stained milk, stained coffee, or stained coffee with milk.
¡Y ahora que sabes todo esto, ya estás listo para desayunar en España!
And now that you know all this, you are ready to eat breakfast in Spain!
Vocabulary and useful phrases
This vocabulary list gives the meaning of each word or phrase in the specific context of this podcast. Some of these words/phrases have other meanings too that are not mentioned here.
- Desayuno = breakfast [return]
- Desayunar = to eat breakfast [return]
- Bares = places where you can eat. In Spain you can eat in bares and in restaurantes. Bar does not mean a place just to drink alcohol. A bar where you can only drink, and there is no food is called bar de copas [return]
- Cafeterías = coffee shops. They are places where they serve coffee and breakfast, and usually coffee and a snack in the afternoon, after lunch and before dinner, our merienda. Sometimes a cafetería might have some sandwiches or some tapas for lunch, but it is more intended for desayunos and meriendas. [return]
- Permiso = authorization, permission [return]
- Cerca de = near [return]
- Acto social = social event [return]
- Quedar con = to meet up with [return]
- Familiares = relatives [return]
- De higos a brevas = once in a blue moon [return]
- Empezar desde cero = to start from scratch [return]
- Tostadas = toasts [return]
- Varias = several [return]
- Aceite de oliva = olive oil [return]
- Jamón = jamón serrano = typical Spanish dark ham. When we just say jamón, we meant our dark Spanish ham. [return]
- Jamón York = regular smoked ham, not the Spanish dark ham. [return]
- Pavo = when talking about toasts or sandwiches, we just say pavo meaning the smoked turkey. Everybody will know you mean that specific way to prepare and eat the turkey. However, that word, pavo, means literally turkey, it does not meat smoked turkey [return]
- Mantequilla = butter [return]
- Paté = pate or pâté in French. This is originally a French word and it is used in many other coutries with the right accent marks from French, this is on â and on é [return]
- Foie grass = French words also for liver pate [return]
- Manteca colorada = red butter, it comes from pork [return]
- Solo = only; alone. [return]
- Leche = milk [return]
- Hielo = ice cube [return]
- Cantidad = amount [return]
- Se sirve = it is served [return]
- Verano = summer [return]
- Misma = same [return]